News and Announcements
Silent Soccer is one weekend each season in which parents, coaches and spectators are to be silent during game play. It gives ourplayers a chance to trust their skills and instincts without sideline input, and without concern that their mistakes will be corrected from the sidelines in a game environment.
Rules for Families/Spectators
1) No verbal comments about the game or any direct comments to the players, coaches or referees on or off the field – let the players play the game their way. They’re all doing their best, given their age and experience, and don’t need to be urged to play harder or smarter than they already are.
2) “Cheering” is highly encouraged for ALL plays, regardless of team.
3) Be creative in how you choose to “cheer” – make signs to hold up, a rally towel to wave wildly or pom-poms to shake.
4) Clapping IS allowed!
5) Please NO noise makers and especially no whistles, or compressed air horns.
Rules for Coaches
1) Use practice this week to educate your players about Silent Soccer.
2) During game play, remain silent on the sidelines. Under-8 Coaches ONLY may verbally coach; however, please use restraint and coach moderately. (U8 parents must observe the rule of silence.)
3) PERMITTED: calling out for substitutions and speaking quietly to players on the sidelines, giving them instructions to carry out on to the field, such as ’Joey, I want you to switch positions with Tommy, and make sure Billy gets a chance to do a throw in, ok?"
4) Use this weekend as an opportunity to notice how players learn from each other during the course of a game and appreciate all the subtle ways the game teaches.
Reasons why ABSC holds Silent Soccer:
- To foster leadership skills among individual players as they have unique opportunity of giving instruction on the field.
- To foster a sense of true teamwork as players must learn to rely upon one another and communicate with each other appropriately.
- To remind coaches, parents, and players that PRACTICE is the time for instruction. Games are the showcases for learning.
*To remind everyone that youth soccer is primarily for the purpose of kids playing, learning and having fun.
Have a fun, SILENT weekend!
Practices are CANCELLED Thursday and Friday.
ALL ABSC games the weekend of 10/14-15 (Competitive and Recreational) are cancelled OR postponed.
ABSC wants no ambiguity. NO GAMES this weekend. The club will NOT host games or send teams to AWAY games based on the continued unhealthy air quality around the ENTIRE Bay Area.
We are concerned for the health of all our players and we do not want teams pressured into playing under unhealthy conditions.
Again, thank you for your understanding and helping us to keep our kids and families healthy and safe.
We will continue to monitor the air quality each day next week and will hold practices as soon as it is deemed safe.
Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time as we help keep our kids and families healthy and safe
Oct 4 to Nov 8
Fielding West Field
offered at two times: 4-5:30pm & 5:30-7pm
Open FREE of charge to registered ABSC U8-U19 players
Learn the technical and tactical knowledge of the game and how to read offensive play.
Mondays & Fridays
Oct 2 to Nov 10
Fielding West Field
Offered at 2 times: 4–5:30pm & 5:30-7pm
Come learn quick reaction, reading defense and reading space.
Open FREE of charge to registered ABSC U8-U19 players. Drop-in any and all dates you wish.
Albany-Berkeley Soccer League (in-house) Under-6 (2012) to Under-11(2007) games have been published!
Travel Teams Under-11(2007) to Under-19 playing in Jack London and District 4, schedules are being worked on by those leagues and will be published as soon as possible.