News and Announcements
Happy New Year!
A safe and happy festive season. See you on the field in 2022!
See you on the pitch!
Every Friday at Gilman South ( turf)
For all ABSC players
All levels welcome!
Weekend of October 23/24th
Silent Soccer is a weekend when parents, coaches and spectators are to be silent during game play. It gives our players a chance to trust their skills and instincts without sideline input, and without concern that their mistakes will be corrected from the sidelines in a game environment.
Guidelines for Coaches :
1) Use practice next week to educate your players about Silent Soccer.
2) Before the game, explain Silent Soccer to your players.
3) During game play, remain silent on the sidelines. Under-8 Coaches ONLY may verbally coach; however, please use restraint and coach moderately. (U8 parents must observe the rule of silence.)
4) PERMITTED: calling out for substitutions and speaking quietly to players on the sidelines, giving them instructions to carry out on to the field, such as ’Joey, I want you to switch positions with Tommy, and make sure Billy gets a chance to do a throw in, ok?"
5) Provide coaching points at the start of the game, at halftime and after the game.
6) Use this weekend as an opportunity to notice how players learn from each other during the course of a game and appreciate all the subtle ways the game teaches.
Guidelines for spectators :
1) No verbal comments about the game or any direct comments to the players, coaches or referees on or off the field – let the players play the game their way. They’re all doing their best, given their age and experience, and don’t need to be urged to play harder or smarter than they already are.
2) “Cheering” is highly encouraged for ALL plays, regardless of team.
3) Be creative in how you choose to “cheer” – make signs to hold up, a rally towel to wave wildly or pom-poms to shake.
4) Clapping IS allowed!
5) Please NO noise makers and especially no whistles, or compressed air horns.
Guidelines for players :
1) Have fun and enjoy the game!
2) Communicate with your teammates
Reasons why ABSC holds Silent Soccer:To foster leadership skills among individual players as they have unique opportunity of giving instruction on the field. To foster a sense of true teamwork as players must learn to rely upon one another and communicate with each other appropriately. To remind coaches, parents, and players that PRACTICE is the time for instruction. Games are the showcases for learning. *To remind everyone that youth soccer is primarily for the purpose of kids playing, learning and having fun.
Have a fun, SILENT weekend!