News and Announcements
October 12/13th is Silent Soccer Weekend
Silent Soccer is a weekend when parents, coaches and spectators are silent during game play. It gives our players a chance to trust their skills and instincts without sideline input, and without concern that their mistakes will be corrected from the sidelines in a game environment.
No verbal comments about the game or any direct comments to the players, coaches or referees, on or off the field.
Let the players play the game their way. They’re all doing their best, given their age and experience, and don’t need to be urged to play harder or smarter!
- “Cheering” is highly encouraged for ALL plays, regardless of team
- Be creative in how you choose to “cheer” – make signs to hold up, a rally towel to wave wildly or pom-poms to shake
- Clapping IS allowed!
- Please NO noise makers and especially no whistles, or compressed air horns
Use practice this week to educate your players about Silent Soccer
- During game play, remain silent on the sidelines. Under-8 Coaches ONLY may verbally coach, however, please use restraint and coach moderately (U8 parents must observe the rule of silence)
- PERMITTED: calling out for substitutions and speaking quietly to players on the sidelines, giving them instructions to carry out on to the field, such as ’Joey, I want you to switch positions with Tommy, and make sure Billy gets a chance to do a throw in, ok?"
- Use this weekend as an opportunity to notice how players learn from each other during the course of a game and appreciate all the subtle ways the game teaches.
- To foster leadership skills among individual players with the unique opportunity to give instructions on the field
- To foster a sense of true teamwork as players must learn to rely upon one another and communicate with each other appropriately
- To remind coaches, parents, and players that PRACTICE is the time for instruction. Games are showcases for learning!
- To remind everyone that the purpose of youth soccer is for the kids to play, learn and having fun!*
Have a fun, SILENT weekend!
Free to ABSC Fall registered families
$50 for Non-ABSC families
Gabe West, Harrison Fields, Berkeley
September 23rd & 30th
October 7th,14th, 21st & 28th
Aug 17 – Sept 2
Need new gear? Shop Sports Basement and you’ll receive 20% off your entire purchase and ABSC will receive $5 for our Scholarship Fund. Print flyer/photo coupon.
Free to FALL U9/2011 to U19/2000 registered ABSC players
U13-U19 Girls and Boys Mondays 5:30pm-7pm
Aug 5,12 @ Gilman North Turf
U9-U12 Girls and Boys Tuesdays 5:30pm-7pm
Aug 6,13 @ Gilman North Turf
Coaches working with Girls
Asha, Stephanie, Odalis, Lesly and Blanca
Coaches Working with Boys
Leads: Charles & Mario
Nicolas, Osvaldo, Sammy, Edgar, Sebastian and Albino
Round up your friends and teammates and join us. Stay active and keep your skills sharp with ABSC this Summer!
Fall Registration OPEN- no late fee:
Under-5 Co-ed Program
Under-6 Co-ed, all Boys & all Girls Programs
Under-7/Under-8 Co-ed, all Boys & all Girls Programs
FREE Drop-in Fun on Weekends
8/25 Sunday 10-11am Memorial Park, Albany
9/1 Sunday 10-11 am Ohlone Middle Field, Hearst & California, Berkeley
9/7 Saturday am Ohlone Middle Field, Hearst & California, Berkeley
ABSC invites all players ages 4-6 to to join in on the fun of soccer! Our Under-5 to Under-7 programs are designed to introduce the youngest of players to the beautiful game of soccer. Our Programs provide young players a pressure free introduction to the world’s most popular sport with developmentally appropriate activities. Through creative play we work on developing foot skills, dribbling, coordination, passing, shooting, speed and agility. We believe Soccer = Fun!!